This dinner was awesome! I love cooking for family. The only issue I had was with the sauce that goes over the potatoes. I think I had too many potatoes and not enough sauce but it tasted good anyway. Its just when I make home made mac and cheese there’s always enough sauce and I expected that for these potatoes. My awesome mother in law made a salad which was great because I ran out of time to make a Caesar salad, and I think her salad was way better! It had home made croutons which were to die for, red bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and a few other things.
I only took a photo of the dessert because I was too busy but maybe next time I will remember!
Peppercorn-crusted flank steak
Asiago, potato, and bacon gratin
Peach and Raspberry pavlova parfaits
Peppercorn-Crusted Flank Steak
1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Remain ing ingredients:
1 (1-Pound) flank steak, trimmed
1) To prepare rub, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add black peppercorns, and cook 1minute or until fragrant. Transfer toasted peppercorns to a spice grinder; grind until fine. (I just used my pepper corn grinder and ground up 1 tablespoon in to a bowl rather than heat it up and grind it) Combine ground peppercorns, salt, mustard, garlic powder, and thyme in a small bowl. Rub peppercorn mixture evenly over steak; let stand 10 minutes.
2) heat a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat steak with cooking spray; cook 7 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size 3 ounces).
Caesar Salad *(even though this is not the salad we made I am just going to put it on here)
1 hard cooked large egg
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
8 cupstorn romaine lettuce
1 cup fat free Caesar routons
8 teaspoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1) Cut egg in half lengthwise; remove and reserve yolk for another use. Mince egg white.
2) Combine juice and next 8 ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine egg white, juice mixture, and lettuce in a large bowl; toss well. Place 1 1/2 cups salad mixture on each of 4 plates; top each with 1/4 cup croutons and 2 teaspoons cheese.
Yield: 4 servings
Asiago, Potato, and Bacon Gratin
1 1/2 pounds peeled yukon gold potatoes cut in to 1/4 inch thick slices
1 teaspoon salt divided
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups low fat milk, divided
2 cups of low fat milk divided
3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1) preheat oven to 350.
2) Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Drain. Sprinkle potatoes evenly with 1/ 4 teaspoon salt; keep warm.
3) Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat; coat with cooking spray. Add shallots, and cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Sprinkle flour over shallots. Gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook over medium heat 9 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt, Asiago, chives, pepper, and bacon.
4) Arrange half of potato slices in an 8 inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour half cheese sauce over potato slices. Top with remaining potato slices and cheese sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Yield: 6 servings.
Peach and Raspberry Pavlova Parfaits
1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar, divided
1 cup vanilla fat free yogurt
2 cups sliced peeled peaches (about 6 to 7 peaches)
1 cup fresh raspberries
1 cup vanilla meringue cookie crumbs
12 vanilla meringue mini cookies
*( I could not find these cookies so I used Nilla Wafers)
1) Place cream cheese and 3 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes or until smooth. Add vanilla fat free yogurt, and beat until blended.
2) Combine remaining 1 tablespoon sugar, peaches, and raspberries in a large bowl; toss to coat. Let stand 5 minutes.
3) Spoon 2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture into each of 6 (8 ounce ) glasses; top with 1/4 cup peach mixture, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons cookie crumbs. Repeat layers once with remaining cheese mixture, and peach mixture. Cover and chill. To serve, top each parfait with 2 mini cookies.
Yield: 6 servings