My husband wanted blue berry muffins. I must admit I was tired of blue berries. Then it hit me we have apples! I made these tasty Apple muffins with delicious red apples, and topped them with a Cinnamon streusle topping.
My mother in law gave me an apple slicer/de-corer!! Wow is it amazing!! I had so much fun and it did not take that long. It took me two hours to make these muffins mainly because I took my time. I have been taking my time while baking because my arm can not take going full speed constantly (I have medial epicondylitis in my right elbow, due to 13 years of clarinet playing)
These little muffins taste like apple cake, soft, moist, sweet, and great for breakfast!
Source: The Ultimate Muffin Book by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough
3 medium Granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
( I used 3 red delicious apples)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
nonstick spray or paper muffin cups
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated nugmeg
1/2 cup milk ( I use 2 %)
1 lg egg, rm temp and lightly beaten
1. Toss the diced apples with the sugar in a medium bowl. Pour the oil over the top, stir well, and set aside at room temperature for 45 minutes.
2. Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. To prepare the muffin tins, spray the indentations and the rims around them with nonstick spray, or line the indentations with paper muffin cups. If using silicon muffin tins, spray as directed, the place them on a baking sheet.
3. Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a second medium bowl until uniform. Set aside.
4. Using a wooden spoon, stir the milk and egg into the apple mixture until smooth. Then stir in the prepared flour mixture until moistened.
5. Fill the prepared tins three-quarters full. Use additional greased tins or small, oven safe, greased ramekins for any leftover batter, or reserve the batter for a second baking. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the muffins have rounded, slightly cracked tops. A toothpick inserted in teh center of one muffin should come out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
6. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Gently rock the muffins back and forth to release them from the tins. remove them from the pan and cool them for 5 minutes more on teh rack before serving. If storing or freezing the muffins, cool them completely before sealing in an airtight container or freezer safe plastic bags. The muffins will stay fresh for up to 48 hours at room temperature or up to 2 months in the freezer.
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
1. Whisk the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl until uniform. Slice the butter into 6 equal pieces and add it to the bowl. With a pastry cutter or two forks, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Sprinkle the topping evenly on top of the muffins before baking, using approximately 1 tablespoon on each, squeezing and crumbling the mixture between your fingers as you sprinkle.